The success of any surgery hinges on the skill level and qualifications of the surgeon performing it. It can be difficult picking a plastic surgeon to perform your chin augmentation, but finding the right one is extremely important and plays a big role in determining the outcome of the procedure.
If you are considering chin augmentation, here are some tips you may want to follow in selecting a plastic surgeon.
American Society of Plastic Surgeons
The best place to start, according to Darrick Antell, MD, a New York City plastic surgeon with over 20 years’ experience, is the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). “Selecting the right surgeon is the most important part of chin augmentation,” says Dr. Antell.
As the largest plastic surgery specialty organization in the world, the society requires all members to “operate in accredited surgical facilities that have passed rigorous external review of equipment and staffing.” The group is made up of more than 7000 physician members and more than 94 percent of all board-certified plastic surgeons are ASPS members.
Antell recommends those interested in picking a plastic surgeon to perform chin augmentation go to the ASPS website and search “Find a Surgeon.”
Questions to Ask Your Plastic Surgeon
Another important step in picking a plastic surgeon to perform chin augmentation is researching the physician’s qualifications and asking questions. Samuel Lam, MD, a board-certified plastic surgeon in Dallas, suggests taking steps to determine whether or not a particular surgeon is right for you.
- Before & After Photos: “Search photos of the surgeon’s patients who have had the same procedure,” Dr. Lam says. “Look for those that appeal to you.” Much like fine art, certain photos should speak to you, he says. Not everyone has the same taste. Find a surgeon whose work you’re drawn to.
- Word of Mouth or Online Testimonials: Research what others are saying about the skill sets of a particular surgeon. Read comments from former clients and talk to others who have undergone similar surgeries.
- Credentials: Do your research. Find out all you can about a surgeon ahead of time. Don’t be afraid to ask questions at the initial visit, including the length of time in practice and how many procedures he has performed.
- Continuing Education: Even highly educated, skilled plastic surgeons need to stay current. Procedure techniques change and new advances are always coming out. Does your surgeon attend frequent meeting and lectures? Is he up-to-date on the latest approaches?
- Experience: When it comes to surgical skills, practice makes perfect. How many times has the surgeon performed this particular operation? Does he possess any special skill sets? But be careful not to rule a surgeon in or out based solely on his years of practice. A young surgeon has probably performed many surgeries throughout training and is likely current with the newer techniques. And while there’s really no substitute for experience, it’s important to make sure a surgeon who has been practicing for a number of years is keeping abreast of improvements and updates.
Picking a plastic surgeon to perform a chin augmentation is an important step and requires careful consideration and investigation. Before undergoing any surgical procedure, make sure all your questions have been answered and you are ready to proceed.